CHS, the only school in Colorado and one of only 13 in the nation, belongs to the Athena Student Intern Program; students Miranda Tafoya and Mark Girard work with CHS's science teacher Dr. Haynes and Dr. William Farrand of Space Sciences Institute at the Jet Propulsion Lab with the NASA Mars Exploration Rovers (MER) program and will be a part of the Science Team in February, 2004 after the Mars landing.
CHS is the only BVSD high school with an 8-inch Newtonian reflecting telescope and an 8-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain reflecting telescope, used at Dr. Haynes's astronomy class "star parties."
Nationally certified, extensive pre-engineering program; business program including law class; art program with participants in juried shows; computer programming courses including JAVA; language arts program including theatre, speech and debate, newspaper and yearbook courses; math program with state and nationally recognized curriculum, also several levels of calculus, plus statistics class; science program including research with C. U.; social studies program including psychology and sociology; world languages program; and an extensive music program in choir, band, jazz band and orchestra.
Academics of a Diverse Population
Former Centaurus students over the years have been honored as:
- US Achievement Academic National Award in Science winners
- Several first place winners in BVSD Science Fair
- State qualifiers for Science Fair
- US Presidential Scholars
- First place winners in TEC State competition
- First place winners in local, regional and state speech and debate/forensics competition
- Winners of state competition and qualified for Nationals in speech and debate/forensics competition (the only BVSD high school ever to do so)
- Winner of state Thespian scholarship, Anthony Reimer (the only BVSD high school ever to do so).
- Boettcher scholar 91-92, 01-02, 02-03, 03-04, 04-05, 05-06, 10-11, 11-12
- A number of SAT perfect scorers over the years.
- Many President's Educational Awards (3.5 GPA and 85%ile ACT/SAT).
- A number of NMSQT (National Merit) scholars.
Centaurus High School
Our mission is to create educated, engaged, empowered, and compassionate participants in a global society.
Our vision of a proud Centaurus Warrior community includes:
1. Students who demonstrate HEART: Honor, Empathy, Achievement, Respect, and Triumph.
2. Teachers who provide enriching progressive, viable curriculum that equitably meets diverse student needs.
3. Parents and the community who engages in and supports the learning process.