MEDICATIONS IN SCHOOL
In the Boulder Valley School District, the following guidelines are in place to provide for the safety of all students. Keep in mind that most staff who administer medications to students are non-medical people working under the supervision of a nurse. Please call Delores Nichols, our school’s Health Room Paraprofessional at (720-561-4600) or the District Health Services Office (720-561-5544) with any questions regarding the medication procedures.
Boulder Valley students may receive medications at school according to the following procedure...
- Medications are not to be in the personal possession of students.
- For all prescription and non-prescription medications, a student’s parent or guardian shall make a written request for school personnel to administer medications by providing the completed Medication Administration Authorization form, which is to be signed by both a parent and physician. A new Authorization form must be signed and submitted for each new prescription medication or each dosage change. These forms are available in the school’s Health Room. Completed forms can be faxed to the school. Authorization forms must be completed each year.
- Medications should always be delivered to the Health Room staff or office staff by an adult.
- The student must report to the Health Room or school office to take medications. EXCEPTION: Any student who requires the use of an inhaler or EpiPen may carry and self-administer the prescribed medication if the physician signs a specific statement on the Medication Administration Authorization form, endorsing the student’s capability for this.
- Prescription medication supplied by the student’s parents or guardian must be in a properly labeled bottle dispensed by a pharmacy.
- Non-prescription, “as needed” medications must be in the original labeled container. The bottle should also be labeled with the student’s name.
- A photograph of the student should be attached to the completed authorization form. It is the parents’ responsibility to supply a current picture (or clear copy) to the Health room staff person.
- It is the responsibility of the parent to obtain all unused medication from the school when the medication is discontinued, the school year ends, or the student transfers to another school. At the end of a school year, school staff will dispose of all unclaimed medications.
Parents may always come to school and administer medication to their child.
In order for your child to receive medication at school, this form must be filled out completely by both health care provider and parent. A new form must be completed each school year!!
Medication Administration Authorization Form
For additional information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or BVSD Health Services.
Medicaid & CHP+ Programs